Monday 23 April 2012

André Kertész


André Kertész is the third artist whose work I have been looking at  he was born in Budapest, Hungary.1894-1985. He taught himself how to use a camera and had his first photos published while in the army in world war 1. Even early on he had a very distinctive and mature style and used unorthodox camera angles in his photographs that had haunting compositions.
Kertész moved to Paris in 1925, where he changed his name to Andor and became acquainted with members of the Dada movement. One of them dubbed him “Brother Seeing Eye”, an allusion to a medieval monastery where all the monks were blind except one.
In Paris he found critical and commercial success and in 1927 he was the first photographer in the world ever to have a one-man exhibition. He mentored many famous names in photography; Henri Cartier-Bresson said, “We all owe something to Kertész”.
In 1936 Kertész and his wife moved to the United States to escape the increasing tension that was leading to World War II. He signed to a deal with the Condé Nast Publishing empire photographing for homes and garden magazine, however his personal photographic style did not go down well with what was expected by the american public.
He carried on exhibiting his work as best he could but became disillusioned as his reputation faded, his work did not appear in Steichens famous, The family man show at the museum of modern art, but Later Kert'esz had a solo exhibition at the museum. This relaunched his career and reputation.

"The moment always dictates in my work…Everybody can look, but they don't necessarily see… I see a situation and I know that it's right." -- André Kertész

I have found it really interesting looking back at these 3 famous photographers work and will definitely continue to research more photographers work , at first I was not sure that I would like Kertész work as much as the others.
My first findings of his were the oddly angled women's body shapes, however the more that I viewed these pictures with there lines and angles to them the more fascinating I found them.
And then I started to recognise some of his other work which I had enjoyed viewing in the past and wish that I had taken the time to look at who's work it was.
Here are some of my favourites.



This picture shows the reflection of the effel  tower and is 1 of my favourites, I love the textures in the picture, the tones and the reflections



I found this photo really interesting it is a really good example of what I have been trying to achieve in the exercise on, and shows this really well



There are some lovely reflections and framing by the ornate metal at the top of this high view image




This black and white image shows so much tone and detail to it




When I first saw these next 2 photos I was not sure if I liked this type of image with the odd shapes and angles but the more that I have seen them the more I have got to appreciate these strong images and this style of photography with its lines curves and unusual angles










The next 2 photos are examples of work by Kertész after his wife died he use to photo some of her personal possessions on his windowsill and one day found this bust liking the shape of the head he shot pictures of it and then purchased another shown in the picture below



Here the 2 busts work really well together with lovely lighting on them




















No comments:

Post a Comment